tbo: Tampa Bay Online.
Sunday, Sep 23, 2018
  • Home
News Roundup

Riverview man accused in fatal attacks ordered held without bail

TAMPA — It’s been nearly two days since Hillsborough County Sheriff’s deputies discovered the remains of a young girl found brutally murdered in a Riverview home.

Deputies have yet to release her name, though they believe they know it.

She was stabbed and then burned beyond recognition late Sunday night, Cpl. Larry McKinnon said. Investigators with the county Medical Examiner’s Office continued efforts Tuesday to confirm her identity through dental records, fingerprints, x-rays and other means.

Jail records describe the death as an act of domestic violence.

Deputies said Ronnie Oneal III, 29, repeatedly stabbed the girl, fatally shot 33-year-old Kenyatta Barron and stabbed their 8-year-old son, Ronnie Oneal IV, before setting fire to their home at 13248 Pike Lake Dr. in the Royal Lakes subdivision of Riverview’s Summerfield community.

Deputies rushed the boy to Tampa General Hospital with burns and multiple stab wounds to the torso and neck after Oneal and the mother of his children made a series of chilling 911 calls during the attack, according to an arrest affidavit. The boy underwent surgery Monday and is expected to survive his injuries, although family has requested any additional information about his condition remain confidential, McKinnon said.

Oneal awaits trial on two counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted first-degree murder, arson and resisting arrest.

At a first appearance hearing Tuesday, Hillsborough Circuit Judge John Conrad ordered him held without bail and scheduled another pretrial hearing for 10 a.m. Friday. Oneal was represented by the Public Defender’s Office.

Oneal did not speak, appearing with his wrists and feet shackled and wearing a green vest provided to inmates deemed a threat to themselves.

His left arm was bandaged from elbow to his wrist. He suffered a serious burn on his arm and blisters on his hands during the fire he is accused of setting at his home, the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said.

In audio recordings of the 911 calls made that day, Oneal can be heard shouting "Allah Akbar," while Barron tells dispatchers she was shot and pleads for help. Oneal made a second 911 call minutes later, telling dispatchers "I’ve just been attacked by some white demons" and confessing he killed a woman named "Ke-Ke" — Barron’s family nickname.

After his arrest, Oneal continued to should "Allah Akbar" in the back of a patrol cruiser, deputies said. Oneal’s Facebook profile says he is a member of the organization, "The Nation of Islam."

Little is yet known about Barron, who was enrolled at Hillsborough Community College. Oneal had once signed up for a college prep class there but was dropped for non-attendance, spokeswoman Ashley Carl said.

Responding deputies found Barron lying in her neighbor’s front yard moments before she died at the scene from her injuries. As paramedics tended to the dying woman, deputies watched her home catch fire and her severely injured son walked out of the front door, deputies said.

The boy walked told paramedics "my father shot my mother," deputies said.


Riverview man yelled ‘Allah Akbar’ in attacks on his children, deputies say

Weather Center