The '80s were full of sci-fi classics – Blade Runner, Aliens, the Trek movies – but one movie always captivated me above all others for some odd reason: 1983's Krull.
Perhaps because the sci-fi fantasy meets swashbuckler flick was perfectly aimed at kids about 15 years old. No complex themes here. The journey of a prince to save his future queen from the evil "Beast" is as boilerplate as it gets. And yet, imagine my glee when I heard this news:
Krull is getting a re-release on its 35th anniversary. The movie will play select theaters on Aug. 23 and 25. (Check the Fathom Events site for a showing near you.)
HOWEVER, this won't be your regular, nostalgic trip back to the '80s. This will be a "RiffTrax" screening, meaning you can expect a "Mystery Science Theater 3000" overlap of quips, snark and just overall abuse hurled at the campy classic.
Is there plenty to lampoon from Krull? Oh sure. The 15-year-old version of me will die inside, but count me in to make fun of "the glaive," the dated special effects and the endlessly ridiculous lines from David Battley as "Ergo the Magnificent."
TOP 5 MEMORABLE LINES FROM KRULL:
5. "If I had my wish I'd be out of this gloomy place right away. If I really had my wish I'd be sitting on top of a gooseberry pie as big as a mountain. No, that's a bit greedy. I'll settle for one as big as a house."
4. "He marches us towards a solid face of rock. The man has raisins in his braincase."
3. "I was wrong. The journey was worthwhile. Finish it for me."
2. "I am Ergo the magnificent. Short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision. And I do not travel with peasants and beggars. Goodbye!"
1. "Power is fleeting; love is eternal."