Another hot, rainy afternoon for the Tampa Bay area
Another rainy afternoon is coming for the Tampa Bay area today with a few showers followed by scattered showers and thunderstorms, but it will be very hot. There were some rain showers along the Gulf coast early this morning, and the wind that delivered those clouds will send more farther inland later early this afternoon. The skies will be mostly sunny, with a high near 91 and a low of 78 tonight. The heat index values will reach 100. The chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Bryan Bennett, metrologist for News Channel 8, said the chance of rain increases east of Interstate 75. He said there is a 30 percent chance of rain along the beaches, but the chance of rain rises to nearly 60 percent in Polk and Highland counties. More of the same for Monday with scattered showers and thunderstorms. The day will be hot again with a high near 91 and heat index values as high as 98. The chance of precipitation is 40 percent.The rain chances will be 40 percent for Wednesday through Saturday with highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 70s.
Afternoon Update: Aquarium responds to Scientology; PTC faces extinction; Bucs introduce first pick; divers fish out pounds of Gasparilla beads