System in Gulf could drench Tampa area into weekend
After a muggy start, an area of low pressure will continue to saturate the Tampa Bay area today with frequent rain and possible strong downpours this afternoon. The system, in the Gulf of Mexico, is skirting the west coast this morning, bringing some rain to coastal areas in Sarasota and Pinellas counties, News Channel 8 meteorologist Leigh Spann said. The system has a 30 percent chance for further development as it moves to the north, according to the National Hurricane Center. That movement is expected to keep rain chances at 70 percent through Thursday, when the front is expected to pass the over the Tampa area, making way for some clearing this weekend.Until then, though, the system could create pockets of heavy rain and localized flooding. High each day will reach the upper-80s with high humidity, with lows in the low-70s.
Who wants to trade? Hillsborough offers to swap land with Ybor-area property owners for potential Rays ballpark