Tampa Bay Rays
Rays notes: Blast ends Fuld's homerless streak
ST. PETERSBURG -
Earlier this season, when OF Sam Fuld realized he was the only player not to homer as the Rays set a record for consecutive games with a home run, he joked that he wanted to set the record for most consecutive games without a home run.
Joking or not, that quest ended Sunday when he blasted a slider from Orioles LHP Brian Matusz into the right-field stands during the eighth inning of a 10-7 loss.
It was Fuld's first homer of the season and first since May 27, 2011, when he homered off Cleveland's Josh Tilman.
“Gosh, over two years, that's a long time,” Fuld said.
Fuld also said he forgot about talking about his attempt at the record book.
“At this point I was more worried about getting hits rather than home runs,” he said. “I wanted to crawl before I walked.”
Fuld had been the only Ray without a home run since C Jose Lobaton homered April 25 against the White Sox in Chicago.
“Lobaton and I talked about it a lot and he got his in Chicago, which was a long time ago,” Fuld said. “The pressure was on me to get on the board.”
The comeback (almost) If there was any positive from Sunday's loss, it was the way the Rays rallied and made it a game after trailing 5-0 and 9-1.
Fuld's home run jump-started a three-run eighth inning that cut the Orioles lead to 10-6 after a two-out single by 1B Luke Scott. Lobaton's pinch-hit single in the ninth brought 2B Kelly Johnson to the plate as the tying run.
While the Rays were looking to sweep the Orioles, they were satisfied with winning the series and creating a little momentum for tonight, when they begin a three-game series with the Red Sox.
“It gives us a little bit of energy going into (tonight),” Fuld said. “It had the feeling of a really just crummy day and then, yeah, momentum is important, positive energy is important. It helped us forget the first few innings of the game. Whether we come back and win or not, we come back and make it interesting. We remember those times when we do battle, especially against their good bullpen guys.”
Myers update The Rays do not have any plans to call up Durham OF Wil Myers within the next week or so despite what's been reported by some national baseball media outlets.
While the chance of Myers reaching Super 2 status has diminished now that the season has reached June, the plan remains to let Myers continue to develop at the Triple-A level, something the Rays can afford with the offense being as productive as it has been since mid-April.
A helping hand RHP Jamey Wright asked clubhouse manager Chris Westmoreland to make a Rays jersey for 8-year-old Jackson Quick, who was critically injured and lost his mother, Shannon, during the tornado that ripped through Moore, Okla., on May 20.
Wright had the team sign the jersey. He will give it to Quick along with bats from Detroit's Prince Fielder and Baltimore's Chris Davis.
“If it helps him take his mind off of what he's been through, even if it's for an hour, it will be worth it,” Wright said.
A new day RHP Alex Cobb, who faces the Red Sox tonight, is soliciting names for his split-change-up. RHP Jeremy Hellickson offered “The Thing,” though Cobb said the “Bob and Cobb” has legs.
Of more importance is facing the Red Sox after throwing 72/3 scoreless innings against the Tigers in his last outing. Cobb said he doesn't expect what he did in Detroit to have an impact either way on what he does tonight.
“No, one thing that's helped me this year, regardless of what happened my last outing, I kind of restart my first day out there,” he said. “I'll start like my last start didn't happen. I'll start from the ground up, working on my mechanics all over again, kind of forgetting what took place my last outing.”