1. Newsome — The Wolves' 25-1 5A runner-up finish gained a lot of acclaim last season. This year, the Wolves headline one of the most difficult districts in the state in a move to the new 5A-7.
2. Steinbrenner — The Warriors captured the 4A state title last season and return a slew of talent including Gonzalez, junior forward Alexis Bredeau and sophomore defender Miranda Gonzalez.
3. Tampa Prep — The Terrapins lost a lot of senior leadership on defense, but return the county's leading scorer and have made four straight state final fours.
4. Wharton — After winning the first girls district title in school history topping Alonso, Bloomingdale and Plant and picking up a region quarterfinal win, the Wildcats are rewarded with the addition of Newsome, Riverview and Durant to this season's district.
5. Freedom — The Patriots, district champs last season, will have a tough challenge in a district with Steinbrenner and Gaither.