tbo: Tampa Bay Online.
Friday, Sep 22, 2017
  • Home

Kim leads tired field

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - When the rain stopped, Stacy Lewis got off a school bus wondering if she was in the U.S. Women's Open or the twilight zone. By the time the strange ordeal was over Friday, she had lost her lead and was barely hanging onto her cool. Lewis made a bogey and double-bogey shortly after a 66-minute rain delay, and the lead she held through almost the entire marathon day at the U.S. Women's Open turned into a two-shot deficit to I.K. Kim. Kim was at 4-under par with four holes to play when the second round was suspended by darkness. Lewis, who had led by as many as four shots earlier in the day, was tied for second with Wendy Ward at 2 under with two holes left.
"We sat in a school bus," Lewis said of the way she spent the thunderstorm delay. "It was 20 people in a little school bus. There was no place to go, you couldn't do anything, it was hard to get loose again. Just kind of unfortunate — unfortunate the way it all worked out, I guess." But maybe to be expected during a week that has been interrupted by two afternoon thunderstorms, which has forced backup plans to be replaced by more backup plans. Only 33 of the 156 players made it through their second round Friday, and 66 never made it to their tee time. Among those were amateur Amy Anderson, who will return to the Broadmoor in the three-way tie for second at 2 under. Another shot back is Paula Creamer, along with Karrie Webb, who is in a group of four at 1 under who hadn't teed off. There is never anything easy about winning a U.S. Open, and hitting good golf shots for 72 holes across the hilly Broadmoor, elevation 6,700 feet, makes it that much tougher, even under a normal schedule. But this week's schedule will be anything but normal. Play was suspended Thursday with 131 players still on the course or still waiting to hit their first shots. That set it up for Lewis and dozens more to play — or at least try to play — 36 on Friday. They finished their first rounds, ate lunch and quickly headed back out to the course. "I walked back out here and the food hadn't kicked in and I was really dragging," said Ryann O'Toole, a qualifier who is four shots back at even-par and whose biggest pro check is the $17,500 she cashed at a Futures Tour event this season. "Once it kicked in, I was fine." Lewis got her first career major victory the hard way — a win at the Nabisco in what was essentially a head-to-head, final-day matchup against the world's top player, Yani Tseng. Tseng, trying to complete the career Grand Slam this week, struggled early in this one and walked off the course at 3 over. She was paired with defending champion Creamer, and a few minutes before weather suspended play, both Creamer and Tseng, playing downwind, drove the ball over the 339-yard, par-4 second hole. Creamer got up and down for a birdie. Lewis, meanwhile, was among the few figuring out the greens on a course where players have trouble believing what they see; every putt, even the uphill ones, speed away from the Will Rogers Monument on nearby Cheyenne Mountain. Anderson played six holes early Friday, then left the course, knowing her second round wouldn't begin until at least this morning. "It's exciting; hasn't sunk in," said Anderson, a second-team All-American at North Dakota State. "To me, it's felt like another tournament, just on the tour."


3-6 p.m.; NBC, Ch. 8

Weather Center

10Weather WTSP