The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are holding off on signing controversial guard Richie Incognito.
At least for now.
The Bucs met for several hours Monday with Incognito, suspended from the Miami Dolphins for his role as the ringleader of a pattern for harassment last year, but no deal will come immediately as a result of that visit.
“We met for several hours and the meeting was a good one,’’ Bucs general manager Jason Licht said. “Richie Incognito remains an option for consideration but nothing is imminent.’’
That the Bucs have even begun the process of evaluating the 31-year-old Incognito suggests they are not pleased with the play of at least one of their projected starting guards.
After all, Incognito would come carrying a lot of baggage.
In a 144-page report presented to the NFL by investigator Ted Wells last February, Incognito was named the ringleader of a trio of Miami Dolphins players who “engaged in a pattern of harassment’’ that resulted in teammate Jonathan Martin leaving the team last October.
The report said Incognito’s targets also included another member of the Dolphins offensive line and a member of the Dolphins’ training staff, and while it also detailed abuses by other players, Incognito was the most harshly punished of the group.
He was suspended by the Dolphins for the final eight games of the 2013 season for conduct detrimental to the club and he has been a free agent since the NFL’s official league year ended in March.