Ex-Buc McHale Took Drugs Night Before Death, Report Says
WESLEY CHAPEL - Former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Tom McHale took an anti-anxiety drug and used cocaine the night before he died, according to a Pasco County Sheriff's Office report. Martin Jackson, whose house McHale died in, told deputies he met McHale at a rehabilitation facility. When the 45-year-old former offensive lineman and restaurateur showed up at his home at 2431 Mirador Lane Apt. 203 at 10 p.m. Saturday night, he appeared drunk and didn't look well, the report states. McHale had been thrown out of his house by his wife, Jackson told deputies, and she was starting procedures for a Marchman Act - when law enforcement takes someone with substance abuse problems into protective custody. McHale had problems with a narcotic pain reliever and cocaine, the report states.McHale had not made any suicidal threats, according to Jackson, 29, and McHale told him he was looking forward to going back to rehab. Jackson told deputies he saw McHale take three to four Xanax and use cocaine Saturday night. At 8:30 a.m. Sunday, Jackson saw McHale drinking Coca-Cola and eating leftover pie, and then McHale went back to sleep in Jackson's bed. An hour later, Jackson checked on McHale and he wasn't breathing. Jackson dragged him to the floor and started CPR until paramedics arrived, the report states. When deputies searched McHale's pockets, they found a bottle of Jackson's blood pressure medication, according to the report. Four other pill bottles prescribed to Jackson were found in the home; three of them empty and one with heart medication. The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's office is still awaiting toxicology reports to determine McHale's cause of death. It could take weeks.