This tidy Sunoco station stands near the corner of Magnolia Avenue and Bayshore Boulevard in Hyde Park in the 1926 “then” photo. The developing Davis Islands, bolstered with dredge material from Hillsborough Bay, is visible in the background.
The service station had two open repair bays along with a sheltered filling area with four visible gasoline pumps. The purpose of the visible pumps was to allow customers to see the fuel they were putting in their cars, because early gasoline often was filled with impurities. An attendant would pump fuel from an underground tank into a transparent holding tank above the pump. When the proper level was reached, he opened a valve to gravity-feed the fuel into the automobile’s tank.
Today the former site of the service station is a landscaped corner of the lot belonging to Bayshore Place apartments.
Greg S. Carr