Want to do something for Valentine’s Day and support a local cause or charity, too? Several organizations have events starting this week with a Valentine’s theme or are on Valentine’s Day. They include:
* Be Mine 2014: A Night in Forever Land, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Straz Center for the Performing Arts.
The event, in its second year, benefits the Children’s Board Heart Gallery of Tampa Bay, which tries to match children with adoptive families. It includes food, drinks and a live and a silent auction, with a number of items geared toward Valentine’s Day gifts or celebrations. Tickets are $100 each and available here.
* Wild at Heart, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 14 and Feb. 15, Lowry Park Zoo. Take your valentine to South America, Africa or Australia, without a passport. Participants must be 21 or older Ages 21 and older can celebrate at the zoo after dark with Wild At Heart. The event includes cocktails under the stars, a delectable dinner, romantic settings, up-close animal encounters, and tales of love in the animal kingdom. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. with dinner at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $75 per person, all inclusive. For reservations, go here or call (813) 935-8552, Ext. 392.
* Valentine’s Dinner Gala, 6 p.m. Feb. 14, TPepin Hospitality Center. Lauren Pepin and Marilyn McPhail are co-chairs of this annual event, sponsored by Pepin Family Foundation and benefiting Florida Hospital Pepin Heart Institute.
This year’s theme is De Paris Avec Amour with the event at the TPepin Hospitality Centre, 4121 N. 50th St. Tickets start at $300 a person or $500 a couple. For information, call (813) 615-7886 or go here.
* For the Love of A Garden, 6:30 p.m., Feb. 14, Tampa Garden Club. This annual dinner event benefits the community beautification programs and other club activities. It is held at the club, 2629 Bayshore Blvd., and tickets are $75 each. For information and reservations, (813) 251-5059.
* Glo Kickoff Party Roosevelt Rowing Regatta, 6 p.m., Feb. 14, Davis Islands Garden Club. This is the opening evening event for the Roosevelt Rowing Regatta weekend where lanterns will be launched on the river to remember loved ones on this special day. The event is from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at 81 Columbia Drive. Tickets are $35 per person includes hors d’oeuvres, live entertainment, cash bar and valet parking. For information, go here.