PLANT CITY – There was glitz, glamor, creative floral designs and beautiful horticulture to enjoy at the Plant City Garden Club’s annual flower show.
The theme “Puttin on the Ritz for the Holidays” featured holidays through the year. More than 150 people stopped by Walden Lake Country Club to view the entries in this year’s show.
“It was a great success and we were very pleased. We’re already talking about our theme for next year,” club member and former president Cassandra Banning said.
Design awards included:
• Designer’s Choice Award, Darcy Stottlemyer’s interpretive floor design, “The Gathering,” representing Thanksgiving.
• Table Artistry Award, Vivian Ojeda’s Valentine’s Day table for two entitled, “Love is in the Air.”
• Novice Award, Cindy Card’s country Christmas buffet table design, “Believe.”
• People’s Choice award, Christy Linke’s Thanksgiving floor design.
• Tri-Color Award, Tina Pike, who also won the top design award for her St. Patrick’s Day all fresh design, “Irish Eyes.”
Horticulture award winners included:
• Arboreal Awards, Lisa Firm and Kathryn Bowers.
• Collector’s Show Case Award, Jan Griffin.
• Hanging Basket Award, Lisa Firm.
• Cacti Award, Kathy Stone
• Succulent Award, Mary Collins.
• Grower’s Choice Awards (2), Christy Linke.
• Grower’s Choice Award, Cindy Card.
• Lisa Firm, Horticulture Excellence Award.
• The Educational Award was presented to Mikie Snyder for her educational exhibit on butterfly gardening titled “Plant It and They Will Come.” The exhibit showcased butterfly photos, host and nectar plants as well as handouts so visitors could learn more about butterfly gardening.
The club plans to nominate the show itself, a floor design created by Sassi interior design shop and some of the entries into a national Garden Club competition, Banning said.
The local garden club has presented a garden show each year for about a half century.