Second teen suspect in Tarpon Springs rape gets diversion program
CLEARWATER - A second teenage boy said to have been involved in the rape of a 15-year-old girl at a Tarpon Springs party in April is going into a juvenile diversion program, even though he was never officially charged, while prosecutors decided not to file charges against a third suspect, Tarpon Springs police said. Jared Alexander Alissandratos, 17, the only suspect to be charged in the April 13 assault, is also entering a juvenile diversion program. If he successfully completes the program, the case against him, where he faces a sexual battery charge, is expected to be closed. Alissandratos enjoyed some fame after a debacle at Tarpon Springs' annual cross-diving event in Spring Bayou last year. Usually only one boy is declared the winner, but last year four boys shared the honors. The presiding archbishop threw in a second cross after no one retrieved it, then four emerged with their hands on the two crosses at varying points. Alissandratos was accused of raping the 15-year-old girl at a party at his father's house on Chesapeake Drive on April 13. No adults were around. Because Alissandratos was charged, Tarpon Springs police released some details, said Capt. Jeff Young. Because the others were not, no information on them is being released, Young said.
Now it's Pinellas County's turn to wrestle with $14 million extra for St. Petersburg's Pier District