tbo: Tampa Bay Online.
Monday, Jun 25, 2018
  • Home

Police: Gunman held after shooting kills one, wounds two

A St. Petersburg man, who may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, is charged with killing one man and wounding two others Saturday because he believed they were dealing drugs in his neighborhood, police said.

Police received reports of a shooting in the 4300 block of 7th Avenue North about 10:04 p.m. Officers found two wounded men in the street. One of them was Alexander Usher, 32, of 4324 7th Ave. N., and the other was Mackenzie Galen McConnell, 26, whose last known address was 1701 Woodmarker Court in Brandon.

A third victim, David Oard, was wounded while inside his home.

All three men were taken to a hospital. McConnell was wounded in the upper body and was pronounced dead at 12:27 a.m. Sunday at Bayfront Medical Center. Oard was treated for a minor wound after a bullet grazed his head and Usher, who suffered a gunshot wound to the lower body, was being treated, police said.

Usher and McConnell were in a parked vehicle in the 4300 block of 7th Avenue North Jason Faber approached them, pulled out a semi-automatic handgun and fired several times, according to police.

Stray rounds apparently entered Oard’s home at 4321 7th Ave. N. and wounded him, police said.

Then Faber, 34, of 4314 7th Ave. N., got into his 2004 silver Mazda RX-8 and fled with the handgun, police said.

Faber’s wife told police her husband served in the military, suffers from post traumatic stress disorder and apparently believed residents of Usher’s house, 4324 7th Ave. N., were dealing drugs. She did not know why her husband shot them and there did not appear to be any provocation, police said.

About 11:27 p.m., officers found Faber in his car near Gandy Boulevard North and 4th Street. When they tried to stop him, he fled and was chased by police south on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street North and then west on 38th Avenue North, police said.

As Faber headed onto the northbound Interstate 275 onramp, a police cruiser struck his car and disabled it, according to police. Faber appeared to be trying to reach for a handgun, but he was restrained by officers, police said. The handgun believed to have been used in the shooting was found inside the car.

He was taken to a hospital to be medically cleared before being brought to the station for an interview with detectives, police said.

Faber is being held on the following charges: first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated fleeing.

Weather Center