Space is limited in county pet shelters, and most counties require pet owners to register themselves and their pets in order to utilize their services. They all require pet owners to remain with their pets during the storm. Check your county web site for more information.
Be sure to check before you evacuate to be sure that the shelter you choose is open.
Hillsborough County shelters that accept pets:
• Bartels Middle School, 9020 Imperial Oak Blvd., Tampa
• Burnett Middle School, 1010 N. Kingsway Road, Seffner
• Sgt. Smith Middle School, 14303 Citrus Pointe Drive, Tampa
• Shields Middle School, 15732 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin
Manatee County's pet friendly shelters include:
• Braden River High School, 6545 State Road 70 East, Bradenton
• Manatee High School, 1000 32nd St. W., Bradenton
• Mills Elementary School, 7200 69th St. E., Palmetto
• Rowlett Elementary School, 3500 9th St. E., Bradenton
Pasco County's only pet-friendly shelter is Mike Fasano Regional Hurricane Shelter, 11611 Denton Ave., Hudson.
Pinellas County, which requires pet owners to pre-register pets and their owners, has three shelters at:
• Oak Grove Middle School, 1370 S. Belcher Road, Clearwater
• Thurgood Marshall Middle School, 3901 22nd Ave. S., St. Petersburg
• Dunedin Middle School, 70 Patricia Ave., Dunedin
Polk County's pet-friendly shelters are:
• Philip O'Brian Elementary School, 1225 E. Lime St., Lakeland
• Lake Region High School, 1995 Thunder Road, Eagle Lake
• Alta Vista Elementary School, 801 Scenic Highway, Haines City