In 1923, Temple Terrace, known at the time as a development called Temple Terraces, served as a winter playground for wealthy Northerners, who flocked to Hillsborough County to play golf and other outdoor activities.
The Temple Terrace Golf and Country Club was the centerpiece of the community.
The club’s greens keeper lived near the golf course in a house that still exist today at 201 Avondale Ave.
Today the house is surrounded by lush shrubs and trees in stark contrast to sparse landscaping in 1923.
— Kenneth Knight