Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.
• As you head out for your morning commute, check out our live blog for the latest traffic updates and road conditions across Tampa Bay.
• Bob and Vivian Fiallo were thinking about heading to their North Carolina mountain home this Thanksgiving until the murders started in their neighborhood. Now the couple plan to have family over to their tidy, brick-faced home in Southeast Seminole Heights in a show of strength and defiance. Read about the Fiallos at tampabay.com.
• Charities that serve the poor say they've seen greater need this holiday season in the wake of Hurricane Irma. Thankfully, they're also seeing more donations than usual, which they attribute to people coming together in the wake of the storm. But they could always use more. Find out how to give this morning at tampabay.com.
• Traditionally, Christmas is the most wonderful time of year in the toy business. But now the Crayola's on the wall: The toy-shopping process has changed mightily since you were a kid ogling snowy storefront displays, and no amount of Christmas magic is going to change it back. "Amazon won, and the brick and mortar retailers lost," one analyst says.
• For a different take on Christmas, read book editor Colette Bancroft's interview with Les Standiford who wrote the book The Man Who Invented Christmas, which is the basis for a new movie with Christopher Plummer and Dan Stevens. Standiford, who lives in Miami and has been involved with Eckerd's Writers in Paradise since its inception, documents the journey that led to Charles Dickens' creation of A Christmas Carol, a timeless tale that would redefine the holiday.
• The 2017 Brent Grimes Revenge Tour continues Sunday in Atlanta, and revenge might be a little harder to come by for Grimes when the Bucs face the resurgent Falcons in a 1 p.m. game at Mercedez-Benz Stadium. Grimes talked with our Rick Stroud about his life, his reality TV star wife Miko and his season. With Grimes headed back to where his career started — he spent three years on the bench with the Falcons — check our Bucs channel around lunch time for Stroud's story. A bonus — Times photographer Loren Elliott spent the pregame with Miko Grimes, so check out his photos.
• Stay on top of the latest news in Florida politics by signing up for the Daily Buzz newsletter. Our first-rate political reporters send out the top five stories every Monday through Friday at 3 p.m. Sign up today.
• Get weekly cooking tips and recipes, short how-to videos and more at Stark From Scratch, a new cooking blog from Tampa Bay Times food editor Michelle Stark.