Interstate 4 traffic in Lakeland will be shut down and rerouted this weekend because of railroad track repairs under an overpass.
On Saturday, westbound I-4 traffic between U.S. 98 and Memorial Boulevard will be diverted onto U.S. 98, the Florida Department of Transportation said.
On Sunday, the detour will be set up in the opposite direction, with eastbound I-4 closed in the same area and diverted at Memorial Boulevard.
For motorists traveling between Tampa and Orlando, the Polk Parkway (State Road 570) is the recommended detour. FDOT said tolls will be suspended in the direction of detoured traffic along the 25-mile stretch. Westbound traffic would take Exit 41; eastbound at Exit 27.
The detour is necessary because CSX is making track repairs at Kathleen Road that requires closure under the overpass for safety, FDOT said.
FDOT advises drivers detouring onto the Polk Parkway:
• To slow down when approaching toll plazas but do not stop in front of vehicles that are not prepared to stop.
• To be prepared for delays or sudden, unexpected stops near the toll plazas.
• To follow the posted 25 mph speed limit at plazas. It will be strictly enforced.
• That no passing is permitted between mileposts 18 to 25.
· • To stay in lanes and do not attempt to back up at toll plazas.