TAMPA — A malfunctioning air conditioning unit sparked the fire that damaged several homes at the Brookshire Townhomes on Monday, authorities said.
Investigators concluded the fire started on the back patio of unit B103 when the power supply of a condenser unit in the air conditioning system malfunctioned, Tampa Fire Rescue reported Tuesday. The fire quickly spread along the exterior of several adjacent homes, causing about $400,000 in fire and smoke damage to the building, investigators said.
The fire started about 3:30 p.m. in the complex at 1910 W Sligh Ave. in the Lowry Park area. It took about 60 firefighters about 40 minutes to douse the flames. Authorities evacuated eight units.
No injuries were reported. A cat treated with an oxygen mask recovered.