tbo: Tampa Bay Online.
Monday, Sep 18, 2017
  • Home
News

Dog dies after it is left in garage with running generator, no ventilation, in Hernando County

MASARYKTOWN — A dog is dead and another is in critical condition after Hernando County Fire Rescue found them unresponsive in a home's garage where a generator was left running inside.

The dogs, according to fire rescue, were likely victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials said the generator was left on inside the garage with no ventilation.

In the days following Hurricane Irma, people across Florida have been relying on generators amidst massive power outages.

Fire rescue arrived on Wednesday around 11 a.m. after neighbors pounded on the home's doors trying to figure out if anyone was inside. No one was home other than the dogs, according to fire rescue. When they got inside, rescuers found one dog already dead and the other "requiring aggressive treatment," according to a news release.

That dog is now being cared for by Hernando County Animal Services.

Fire rescue said a home on Monday was destroyed by a fire because another generator was not properly hooked up.

Officials remind residents using generators to keep them outside, never in an attached garage — even if there is a window or door open.

A generator should be at least 5 feet away from all doors, windows and vent openings. Also ensure the generators' fumes are not blowing through open windows or doors.

Weather Center

10Weather WTSP

Comments