Two young children are safe after a Brandon family's two pit bulls saved them from a venomous copperhead.
On Sunday afternoon, a venomous snake slithered into Melissa Butt's yard as her grandchildren, 4-year-old Zayden and one-year-old Mallory, played in the garden.
But the family's pit bulls, Paco and Slayer, were in the yard, too.
And when the protective canines spotted the snake just inches away from the children, they came to the rescue.
"That absolutely would have been one of my grandchildren, whether it be yesterday, today or tomorrow" she said.
Together, the dogs killed the snake but were bitten and injected with its venom in the process.
They were rushed to Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners in Brandon with severe reactions.
Slayer, who is 3, suffered wounds in the face and snout and 9-month-old Paco was bitten on the elbow.
The dogs were given antivenin immediately.
Thanks to "Frankie's Friends," an animal rescue group, more than $6,500 was raised to help pay for the dogs' expensive emergency treatment.
Paco was released form the hospital and is doing well, Butt wrote on Facebook on Tuesday, while Slayer is still being monitored.
Both dogs are expected to make a full recovery.
Contact Samantha Putterman at email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @samputterman.