Northdale teen who survived fall from power pole improving
Almost a month after a Tampa teen's near-fatal shock atop a power pole, 17-year-old Avi Davidson is showing signs of improvement. The budding photographer climbed a telephone pole Oct. 1 to get a better picture of a sunset, but he wound up getting severely shocked and burned. He's still recuperating at the Children's Medical Center at Tampa General Hospital. Avi was wearing a bracelet at the time of his injury, and the metal burned him so deeply that doctors had to amputate his hand last week, according to his father. But Avi's condition is improving."We have a little bit of hope. He has some feeling in his legs, which was totally unexpected," said Jeff Davidson, Avi's father. "He's moving his toes a little bit." Avi fell about 35 feet after getting shocked on a utility pole near the Northdale Recreation Center in Carrollwood. He broke ribs, broke his left hand and fractured his spinal column in the fall. The accident also left Avi with second- and third-degree burns over his chest and arms and paralyzed from the waist down. Avi's burns are healing well, his father said. The teen was sitting up in his hospital bed Sunday, waving to a group of volunteers dressed in Halloween costumes and giving out treats to patients. Witches, queens and elves from American Legion Post 138 of the Port of Tampa went room to room visiting children at the hospital who may not get to do their own trick or treating this year. In some cases, the volunteers put on surgical masks and robes in order to see some of the sickest children without spreading germs. Six-year-old Logan Harvey was especially excited to see the pirates in the group. "Having people come and give them buckets and all that stuff is great," said Dawn Harvey, Logan's mother. "He loves it. He's been looking forward to it."
Reporter Yolanda Fernandez can be reached at (813) 221-5708.