A 62-year-old man died this month from complications of a spider bite, the Polk County medical examiner said.
Ronald Reese, of Lakeland, died Feb. 16.
Medical examiner Stephen Nelson said Reese was never tested to determine the type of spider bite on his neck.
However, Reese’s father, 88-year-old H.K. William Reese, said his son was bitten in August by a brown recluse spider.
“He was working in an old house tearing out the existing walls and ceilings and replacing them. Brown recluse spiders like to live in those old houses,” he said.
The elder Reese said the bite required lengthy hospital stays and numerous procedures for six months after his son was bitten, The Ledger reported.
Few statistics on deaths attributed to spider bites are available. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, only two people died from spider bites between 2001 and 2005. Both were believed to be caused by brown recluse spiders.
The brown recluse spider is one of just a handful of spiders that are dangerous to humans.