Crews are at the scene of the Park Tower at 400 Tampa St. in downtown Tampa. JIM COLLINS/STAFF
Published: April 9, 2013
Updated: April 9, 2013 at 04:30 PM
The release of fumes during repair to an air conditioning unit at The Park Tower at 400 Tampa St. forced the evacuation of the building for several hours this afternoon. Tampa Fire Rescue got a carbon monoxide alarm at 12:14 p.m. Crews later determined that air conditioning work caused the release of noxious fumes on the 5th floor parking garage of the building. The fumes also caused six people working in the building to complain of respiratory irritation. Two people were taken to Tampa General Hospital as a precaution, with one person complaining of trouble breathing and the other of chest pain. The other four workers were treated at the scene and declined going to a hospital. Tampa Fire Rescue evacuated all 35 floors of the building and tested the air on each floor. The building reopened at 2:35 p.m.
Workers were removing the chiller from the air conditioning system when the incident occurred, police said. It appears residual refrigerant was released and caused the fumes. All streets around the building have reopened.