We’ve run several end-of-the-year lists based on news around the Tampa Bay area, but this one is determined by you, our users. These are the most viewed stories on TBO.com during 2013. (Click on headline to read the story.)
1. Government salaries database - TBO.com database to find and compare thousands of government jobs from across Florida.
2. Tampa’s PDQ chain makes fan of Tebow - Former Gator quarterback Tim Tebow financially backs several north Florida locations of the fast-growing, Tampa-based chicken sandwich chain PDQ.
3. Resignation could inspire GOP challenger to Scott - The resignation of Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll in an Internet gambling scandal is the latest political blow to Gov. Rick Scott.
4. Contestant shows off tattoos at Miss America pageant- During the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition, Miss Kansas reveals two tattoos.
5. Tax fraud ‘queen’ sentenced to 21 years- Woman sentenced to 21 years in federal prison on tax fraud and weapons charges, the highest sentence for any defendant in the stolen identity tax refund fraud outbreak that has overtaken the Tampa area.
6. Jefferson High player burned as child sees beyond tragedies- Ernest Mills, a 17-year-old junior cornerback at Jefferson High, shares his positive outlook on life despite being burned over 70 percent of his body and losing his cousin and mentor, C.J. Mills.
7. Taco Fusion may keep controversial lion tacos on menu- Controversy erupts and social media explodes with criticism after Taco Fusion put lion meat on their taco menu.
8. Commentary: Sabotage afoot in Capitol- Guest commentary piece by Bill Nelson about how the Florida Legislature is quietly “trying to sabotage the new federal health care law.”
9. Former exotic dancer gets 7 years for sex with 16-year-old boy- A one-time dancer at Baby Dolls Lounge, an exotic dance club in Clearwater, pleads guilty to charges she had sex with a boy younger than 16, and is sentenced to more than seven years in prison.
10. 12-foot gator tied to tree behind apartment complex- A 12-foot alligator is found tied and tethered to a tree by a leash like a junk yard dog behind a Tampa apartment complex.