West Platt at South Dale Mabry, 1981 and 2012
In November 1981, The Tampa Tribune published the "then" photo of the shuttered Sambo's Restaurant at the corner of West Platt Street and South Dale Mabry Highway. The Sambo's chain was started in 1957 by Sam Battistone Sr. and Newell Bohnett. By 1979, the chain had 1,200 outlets in 47 American states. The name "Sambo's" was taken from portions of the owner's names, but by the late 1970s protests erupted in communities that considered the name a pejorative toward blacks. Attempts to give the chain a new image failed, and in 1981 it filed for bankruptcy. Today, the corner at West Platt and South Dale Mabry is home to a Pei Wei Asian Diner.