Fennelly: Will Bucs reap rewards with Revis?
Retirement parties, ring of honor announcements … so much to do, so little time.
It's less than 10 days until the next Bucs organized team workouts and less than three months from the opening day of training camp, meaning there are less than 10 days and less than three months left to talk about Darrelle Revis before we begin talking about him some more.
Does anyone else out there feel the Bucs are slightly naked, in uncharted waters, now that Ronde Barber, the last link to the world championship team, will be pursuing a TV career and tee times?
Yes, there's no stopping this revamped Bucs defense, or this offense, or football team. Outside of that New York sportswriter sleeping in your den (and many thanks to those of you who are taking in the training camp overflow), this could be a truly special season.
What could possibly go wrong for Revis and the Bucs?
I can think of at least 24 things.
1. The knee.
2. Pass rush still can't get to quarterback.
3. “I thought you guys said Ronde was coming back?”
4. Freeman goes in tank when Schiano mentions maybe choosing starter “by height order.”
5. The knee.
6. Revis lockdown capability means more balls thrown toward Eric Wright, meaning … more balls thrown toward Eric Wright.
7. The other knee.
8. “You know what? I'd maybe like some guaranteed money after all.”
9. Revis strains lower back trying to lift blackout.
10. Da'Quan Bowers sidelined when TSA begins screening bags at Raymond James Stadium.
11. Freeman placed on IR, admits to torn ACL, makeup rash from “Thriller” shoot.
12. New Bucs consultant Sir Alex Ferguson suggests moving Revis to center mid.
13. Revis suspended one game by Glazers after complaining that Ed used the wrong wax on his car.
14. Revis loses half a step when he secretly lends it to Wright.
15. “Wait a second — we play Brees and Ryan twice?”
16. Revis sits out 49ers week to protest lack of progress on downtown Tampa baseball stadium.
17. Doug Martin sophomore jinx; yards, touches down, FDA shoots down Muscle Hamster protein drink after hamsters report muscle loss.
18. Revis injured reeling in sailfish during deep-sea outing; Mark Barron tackles sailfish after catch.
19. “Who thought up this stupid go for the quarterback on kneel-downs?”
20. Revis late to game at New England, mentions “splitting a cab with Talib.”
21. Eric Wright drug test shows traces of Julio Jones touchdown catches.
22. “Look, I told you guys during negotiations: I don't practice during 'Chopped' all-stars week.”
23. Revis morose after Busch Gardens “Revis Island” ride closes; large robot Revis develops swelling, oil on knee.
24. “Man, this building is like an ice box. Where's the thermostat, anyway?
Parents of disabled children vow to take on beer distributor Pepin in fight over horse therapy center land