The YMCA of the Suncoast and YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg are teaming up with Safe Kids Coalition to offer free water safety lessons.
Non-swimmer kids ages 5 - 10 will receive a five day lesson program set around basic swimming survival skills, water safety skills and education about different water safety environments.
Kids who are not very confident in water are also encouraged to register for Splash Week.
To register, download the flyer located at ymcasuncoast.org and take it to one of the locations listed below. Space is limited so interested parents are encouraged to register early. You do not have to be a YMCA member to participate, but priority is given to Pinellas County school kids.
There is no charge to participate. The time the classes are offered varies by location.
Splash week will be held at the following times and YMCA locations:
* Greater Ridgecrest & High Point: May 19-23. Based on grade level the times for the instruction will be 1st and 2nd grade: 5 - 5:45 p.m., 3rd - 5th: 6 - 6:45 p.m. For information, call (727) 559-0500
* Jim & Heather Gills YMCA April 1-24 on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. For information, call (727) 328-9622
* Greater Palm Harbor: April 28 - May 2 and May 5-9. For information, call (727) 787-9622
* North Pinellas: May 12-16. For information, call (727) 772-9622
* Clearwater: June 23-27. For information, call (727) 461-9622