- School board members got their first look at next year’s testing schedule, and four-page testing schedule scattered with strike-throughs to reduce it to two pages. The deleted tests will now be optional.
TAMPA — The latest reading project in Hillsborough County goes beyond handing a kid a book. In its launch Saturday, at Sulphur Springs’ Springhill Community Center, a psychedelically colored, air-conditione...
TAMPA — It was clear to all who saw her Saturday night that Ariel Zavala is growing into a beautiful woman.
- City officials toiled over the details for months before adopting a law decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, but one segment of the community is still wrestling with its reaction to changes that make p...
TAMPA — Clad in a bright yellow suit and pastel polka dot tie, Javarus Mond came to Hillsborough Community College on Friday morning to design his future.
- Board members took a fine-toothed comb to a December audit of chronic problems in the Hillsborough schools transportation department. The takeaway: Driver morale should be at the center of any plan for reform.
- Drivers are underpaid and unmotivated, according to an independent study. But school district officials say they have already taken a number of steps over the past year to get the transportation department on the right path.
TAMPA — Tampa Presbyterian Village, the angular public housing development that formed a pink stucco mountain range between Blake High School and Interstate 275, is gone.
After a national atheist organization issued a complaint, a Fellowship of Christian Athletes employee was permanently banned from Hillsborough County public schools and all public high school sports coaches will be req...
- four years to the day after Gov. Rick Scott signed Florida Polytechnic University into being, former state Sen. John David "JD" Alexander received a token of appreciation for his doggedness.
- Adult leaders with Fellowship of Christian Athletes clubs were banned from Hillsborough County public schools Monday until they can undergo special training next week on district policies and procedures.
TAMPA — Six years after the Deepwater Horizon Oil rig exploded, sending millions of gallons of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico, researchers at the University of South Florida are beginning to chart the long-term...
TAMPA — The Hillsborough County School District has worked to include “gender expression” and identity in its anti-discrimination policies, but at the same time more stu...
- A Monroe Middle School teacher who sparked an outcry over a class assignment regarding sexual identity and other personal information resigned in the midst of an investigation by the Hillsborough school district.
- Superintendent Jeff Eakins is moving forward with plans to revamp an administration that oversees the eighth largest school district in the nation as it works to fill a $142 million hole in the budget.
TAMPA — For the most part, Hillsborough County School Board members praised Superintendent Jeff Eakins’ sweeping reorganization plan for his top district officials during Tuesdays meeting.
TAMPA — A first-year teacher has been suspended with pay while the Hillsborough County School District investigates a class assignment she gave asking students to write down personal ...
Students who racked up thousands of dollars in loans at Everest and WyoTech for-profit colleges can now have those debts cleared.
- The review of Hillsborough Community College noted that textbook prices vary as much as $177 for the same course and a failure to keep track of student enrollment and tuition owed.
- The Hillsborough County School Board plans to add protections for transgender students and staff to its discrimination and harassment policies. The policy change, one of many discussed Tuesday, won’t be made official...
TAMPA — Hillsborough County Schools are about to see a major shake up among those at the top.
- A study shows that cognitive performance, including how quickly the brain can process information and act on it, may be the strongest indicator of a decline in driving ability apart from physical limitations.
- Texas Tech has confirmed even more information that USF didn't know about the man it promoted to direct its school of communications: Bradley was scheduled to have his tenure revoked at Texas Tech as a result of an investig...
LAKELAND — School officials make no promises that Florida Polytechnic University will achieve the all-important stamp of approval known as accreditation, but students on campus are confident it will come — ...