TAMPA — The growing consensus among NFL scouts and draft analysts is that no position group runs out of top-level 2015 draft prospects sooner than quarterback.
The 2015 class of free-agent quarterbacks isn’t any deeper. With Mark Sanchez, Brian Hoyer and Shaun Hill expected to lead the way, it too seems to be lacking both star and starter quality talent.
All of which could prove to be good news for the Bucs.
With the first overall pick in the draft, the Bucs will have their choice of either Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota, who just may be the two most promising quarterbacks available this offseason.
But most of the other teams in need of quarterback help, such as the Jets, Texans and Bills, may have to try to work out a trade to fill their need. That’s where the Bucs come in.
Several teams called the Bucs to inquire about the availability of quarterback Mike Glennon during last year’s draft proceedings, and some around the league believe the same will happen again this year.
Speaking on “NFL Insiders” last Friday, ESPN Insider Adam Caplan said the general manager of a team not in need of a quarterback told him teams looking for quarterbacks are sure to call the Bucs about Glennon.
“He said that the tape wasn’t great on Glennon from last season, but (he pointed out that) he’s got (two years) left on his contract and the Bucs aren’t paying him a lot ($1.4 million through 2016),’’ Caplan said. “He said that’s a guy you have to take a look at (if you’re a team in need of a quarterback).’’
Not that Glennon is likely to bring much in return. With his mixed bag of experience over the course of the last two years, he may only net the Bucs a fourth- or fifth-round draft pick.
But if the Bucs are ready to move on from Glennon, and their refusal to go back to him even after their slim playoff hopes faded completely last year has many believing they are, then a fourth-round pick might not be a bad return.